Friday 5 February 2016

Identities: Feminism and new/digital media

Emma Watson started the "HeForShe gender equality campaign" which was the first campaign of its kind at the UN to try and motivate as many men and boys as possible to be advocates for gender equality. She then outlines how no country in the world can yet say they have achieved gender equality. - "it is right that as a woman I am paid the same as my male counterparts. I think it is right that I should be able to make decisions about my own body. I think it is right that women be involved on my behalf in the policies and decision-making of my country. I think it is right that socially I am afforded the same respect as men. But sadly I can say that there is no one country in the world where all women can expect to receive these rights." It's a balanced debate as she then goes on to identify that men are being imprisoned by gender stereotypes - "Men don’t have the benefits of equality either - young men suffering from mental illness unable to ask for help for fear it would make them look less “macho”—in fact in the UK suicide is the biggest killer of men between 20-49 years of age; eclipsing road accidents, cancer and coronary heart disease." Overall, I think Emma Watson's campaign is valid as it looks at both sides and discusses the issues surrounding gender stereotypes, such as pressures from society to look a certain way.

This article is all about Ched Evans and his struggle to get another football contract from another team due to his troubled past of raping someone and leading to Jean Hatchet starting a campaign to stop Ched Evans to never play football again for a big team as a result his lead to her receiving a massive backlash from men telling her that she should be raped or killed for her reasonable believes.

Ched Evans raping someone lead to him going to prison and when coming out leading to him wanting to play football again which lead to the campaign being started in the first place.

I believe that the campaign is kinda valid. I understand that what he did is an unspeakable act which I understand some people wouldn't want to see him play football ever again. However I believe in second chances because of the fact that if you force him to not play football ever again due to his past he is going to be forced doing jobs that he might not be qualified or not be passionate about so in all I believe that Ched Evans should get a second chance because we have given second chances for example Mark Wahlberg attempted murder and we all go and see his films so I believe that Ched Evans should get a second chance.


Twitter Silence is all about women not using Twitter for a day as a way to demonstrate how powerful and independent they are in comparison to the preconceived ideologies that have been constructed by misogynistic males. They say by doing this will lead to women being inspired by the actions of this campaign, the campaign of silence.

"I just wanted to do a thing" that's why she started the campaign


I believe that this is a terrible idea to showcase the ideology of feminism. I believe men are open to the idea but just don't want to talk about it by disappearing off Twitter for a day achieves nothing, not every person tweets everyday if someone didn't tweet for a day we don't start a worldwide panic, we wouldn't even notice by start a hastag #TwitterSilence is ironic by starting your campaign where the end game is to not be on Twitter which is ridiculous.

No comments:

Post a Comment